Terms and Conditions
Thank you for your interest in the iOi Pitch Battle (“Pitch Battle”) for 2023 organized by the National Association of REALTORS® (“NAR”). NAR will select a limited number of companies to compete as Pitch Battle contestants live in front of the iOi Summit 2023 Conference (“iOi Summit”) attendees (agents, brokers, VCs, tech gurus, and more) and Pitch Battle judges for the Pitch Battle which will take place at Fontainebleau Miami Beach. One (1) contestant will be selected as the Pitch Battle winner.
BY APPLYING TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PITCH BATTLE, PARTICIPATING OR ATTEMPTING TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PITCH BATTLE AND/OR USING THE PITCH BATTLE AND/OR iOi SUMMIT SITE (“Site”), YOU (“You” or “contestant”) AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ARE A LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND NAR WITH RESPECT TO THE iOi SUMMIT, PITCH BATTLE AND THE SITE. NAR has the right to modify these Terms and Conditions at any time, which modification will be effective immediately upon posting. Accordingly, NAR recommends that You check this page periodically. To make Your periodic review more convenient, NAR will post the last effective date for these Terms and Conditions at the bottom of this page.
What is the iOi Pitch Battle?
The premise is simple, each Pitch Battle contestant makes a pitch on how the contestant’s tech product or service can improve the real estate industry; residential or commercial. Contestants will be given four (4) minutes to make their pitch and will then have to answer questions from the Pitch Battle judges. Once each contestant has gone through this process, the Pitch Battle judges will select one (1) winner from all the contestants.
Dates and Times of the Pitch Battle
The Pitch Battle event begins Tuesday, August 29th, 2023, at 3:00 PM through 5:00 PM Pacific Time. However, please note that certain Pitch Battle activities must take place only during certain times as indicated in the schedule. The schedule (“Schedule”) below is incorporated into these Terms and Conditions and can be found below (but is subject to adjustment by NAR). Contestants must complete any required deadlines in order to be eligible to participate in the Pitch Battle.
- Friday, June 23rd, 2023: Deadline to submit applications to participate in the Pitch Battle.
- Friday, August 18th, 2023: Deadline to complete a 30-minute coaching session, coordinated by NAR, and submit a logo and description.
- Monday, August 28th, 2023, TBD (afternoon/evening) Eastern Time: Pitch Battle Prep and walk the Stage/Setup (“Pitch Battle Prep”).
- Tuesday, August 29th, 2023, TBD (afternoon) Eastern Time: Live Presentation of Pitch Battle (“Live Presentation”).
- Wednesday, August 30th, 2023, TBD Eastern Time: Pitch Battle Winner Announced (“Award Ceremony”).
Location of the Pitch Battle
The Pitch Battle will be a part of the iOi Summit and held at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach, 4441 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33140. The Presenter from the contestant, as listed on the Application, must be physically present and able to participate in person during the Pitch Battle Prep, Live Presentation, and Award Ceremony in order for the contestant to be eligible to win. Contestants and Presenters will not be able to participate virtually in the Pitch Battle.
If selected to be a Pitch Battle contestant, You will receive one (1) complimentary all-access non-member pass to attend the iOi Summit 2023 for use by your representative/Presenter. A unique registration code will be provided to selected Pitch-Battle contestants.
Travel, lodging and refreshments
If selected to be a Pitch Battle contestant, You are responsible for your own travel, transportation, and accommodation arrangements and for covering all associated costs and expenses in connection with the contestant’s and its presenter’s participation in the Pitch Battle and attendance of the iOi Summit. Lodging at the host hotel venue is encouraged but not required.
Hardware and Software
Contestants must only use the equipment provided by NAR for the Live Presentation.
Who is eligible to participate?
The presenter or representative for each contestant (“Presenter”) must:
- be an adult at least 18 years old who is legally able to enter into a contract; and
- be a lawful resident of the United States (for clarity, lawful resident does not mean You have to be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident in the United States—e.g., being in the U.S. and participating in the Pitch Battle subject to an appropriate visa is acceptable).
- While companies who are past or current members of the NAR REACH program are eligible to participate in the Pitch Battle, their participation in the NAR REACH program will not be considered in the selection of the Pitch Battle contestants, in the judging of the contestant’s pitch or in the selection of the Pitch Battle winner.
How to Apply
To be eligible to compete in the Pitch Battle, a contestant must complete the application (“Application”) which can be found on the iOi Summit website at:
and indicate You agree to these Terms and Conditions. Applications are limited and are on a first-come, first-serve basis, and NAR has the right to end registration or limit the number of registrants or contestants at any time in NAR’s sole discretion.
Collection/Use of Contestant’s Information
NAR offers no guarantee of confidentiality, either explicitly or implicitly, in connection with any data, materials or information submitted, presented, discussed or pitched by an applicant and/or contestant. NAR, the Pitch Battle judges and iOi Summit attendees will not sign non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements in connection with your Application or participation in the Pitch Battle. You should not participate if you require a non-disclosure agreement.
You should confirm with Your appropriate advisors and/or legal counsel that any intellectual property described in Your application or in Your Pitch Battle pitch is legally held or licensed by You, is non-infringing and appropriately protected. You should be prepared to provide reasonable back-up documentation for appropriate documentation if requested by NAR.
By registering and applying to participate in the Pitch Battle, You agree to grant a license to NAR and the Pitch Battle judges to use Your data, materials, and information without restriction to conduct any reasonable due diligence for purposes of evaluation Your application, product and carrying out the Pitch Battle as described herein.
In addition, NAR will have the right to publicly post certain information about the selected Pitch Battle contestants, their pitches, their products and their Applications, including but not limited to Your name, category of business, and trademarks and logo, in the public areas such as NAR’s websites, publications and other media.
How do You become eligible to win prizes?
In order to be eligible to compete for the Pitch Battle prizes, You must have completed an Application, be a selected contestant, participate in and attend all Pitch Battle related events set forth in the Schedule above and be registered for the iOi Summit as a Pitch-Battle attendee. As described in more detail below in these Terms and Conditions, the Pitch Battle winner will be required to provide any requested proof of eligibility and to sign additional paperwork in order to be formally declared winners and to claim prizes.
Determination of Pitch Battle Winner
A panel of judges, selected by NAR, will judge and choose the winner based on the following criteria:
- Definition of the Problem or Opportunity
- Impact of Solution/Idea
- Feasibility of Marketing and Implementing the Solution/Idea
- Financial Analysis
- Presentation Style
This criteria is subject to change, in NAR’s sole discretion.
The Pitch Battle prizes are subject to and incorporated into these Terms and Conditions and can be found below. The prize listings may be supplemented or modified from time to time in NAR’s sole discretion.
- $15,000 (US Dollars);
- A 10×10 booth at the 2023 NAR NXT, The REALTOR® Experience (a $3,700 value);
- An article feature about the Pitch Battle winner in RISMedia publication;
- An article feature about the Pitch Battle winner in REALTORS® Magazine publication;
- Opportunity to present the Pitch Battle prize check during the presentation ceremony to the winner of the iOi Pitch Battle 2024, at the discretion of the National Association of REALTORS®;
- Opportunity to meet with an executive team member from Second Century Ventures; and
- A Pitch Battle Trophy
Other rules and terms for the Pitch Battle
- Contestants understand that their selection and participation in the Pitch Battle do not represent any approval, promotion or endorsement by NAR of contestants, their organization, products, services, statements or ideas. Contestants must not imply, suggest or make any representation of any approval or endorsement by NAR or association with NAR without its prior written consent.
- Contestants may not: use, or incorporate into their Pitch any inappropriate or unlawful content; take any action in violation of applicable laws or regulations; provide information or materials about another person without appropriate authority or permission; interfere with, remove or modify any terms and conditions, content or other materials posted on the Site; attempt to collect or solicit information about other contestants, iOi Summit registrants or third parties without their consent; or send unsolicited mail, advertisements, or other similar promotional material using the Site.
- Contestant understands and agrees that photos, videos and/or other recordings may be taken during the Pitch Battle, the iOi Summit and related events. Contestant including its presenter hereby grants NAR the perpetual, irrevocable, sublicensable, transferable right to copy, use, display and publish the photos, any videotaped, photographed, and/or recorded materials in which contestant or its presenter appear in any online, electronic and/or print format (including but not limited any social media sites or platforms) for any educational and/or promotional purposes of NAR and/or its iOi Summit vendors, contractors, content partners and/or sponsors.
- All information submitted by contestant to register for the Pitch Battle must be true and correct. Contestant is responsible for keeping such information up to date.
- NAR may use certain third-party service providers (“Third Party Providers”) to support portions of the Pitch Battle (including but not limited to registration services). Such Third-Party Providers may include, but are not necessarily limited to, Google Forms. By registering for the Pitch Battle through a Third-Party Provider, the contestant agrees that it is responsible for reviewing the applicable terms and privacy policies of those Third-Party Providers and that NAR is not responsible for interactions between contestant and those Third-Party Providers.
- At any time, in the sole and absolute discretion of NAR, NAR will be entitled to disqualify a contestant and/or presenter in the event of a failure to meet any requirement of the eligibility criteria or any other violation or suspected violation of these Terms and Conditions.
- NAR will determine participation eligibility, declare the Pitch Battle winner (including but not limited to in the event of a tie), and award prizes in its sole and absolute discretion. Contestant agrees that such decisions are final and are not subject to review or reconsideration.
- Pitch Battle prizes awarded are non-transferable, and any non-cash prizes are not exchangeable for cash. The ability to offer and provide, and for any contestant to receive, any prize(s) are subject to applicable laws and regulations and to availability (including but not limited to any and all individual or entity donors or prospective donors having provided the relevant prizes and/or prize funding to NAR as anticipated). To the extent permitted under applicable laws and regulations, NAR may, in its discretion, arrange for certain prizes to be provided to the Pitch Battle winner directly by third party prize donors rather than by NAR.
- NAR reserves the right to verify the identity and eligibility of all applicants, contestants and its presenters at any time. Without limiting the general nature of the prior sentence, prior to (and as a condition of) awarding any prizes, NAR in its sole and absolute discretion may require additional paperwork to be executed by the relevant contestants and their presenters following the end of the Pitch Battle. Such paperwork is expected to include, among other things, an affidavit and release and will request any necessary information needed for tax reporting purposes. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERAL NATURE OF THE PRIOR SENTENCE, AWARDS OF PRIZES TO THE PITCH BATTLE WINNER ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO NAR ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY IT TO PERMIT IT TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE STATE, FEDERAL AND LOCAL TAX REPORTING. ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES REQUIRED BY LAW TO BE WITHHELD BY NAR. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PITCH BATTLE WINNER(S). NAR reserves the right to declare any winners until after NAR has received and verified the signed paperwork from the prospective winners. If the prospective winner does not complete, sign and return the required paperwork within seven (7) days of request (unless NAR in its discretion approves in writing to a longer time) or comply with such laws, NAR may, in its sole discretion, declare that your prizes have been forfeited and/or select an alternate potential winner.
- This Site, the iOi Summit and the Pitch Battle are based in the United States and intended only for the use of those who may legally access the Site, attend the iOi Summit and participate in the Pitch Battle under relevant U.S. laws and regulations (including but not limited to U.S. export control laws and regulations and/or sanctions administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control). Contestant agrees to use the Site, attend the iOi Summit and to participate in the Pitch Battle in compliance with any and all applicable laws and regulations. Contestant may not use the Site, attend the iOi Summit or participate in the Pitch Battle for any unlawful purpose or engage in any conduct which restricts others from enjoying the Site, the iOi Summit and/or participating in the Pitch Battle. Contestant must comply with any and all applicable rules and restrictions of physical site at which the Pitch Battle is held. NAR reserves the right to expel any individual from the premises or to remove the individual from the iOi Summit and/or the Pitch Battle if the individual is not authorized to attend the iOi Summit, to participate or be present at the Pitch Battle, violates any rules or restrictions of the premises where the iOi Summit and/or the Pitch Battle is being held, violates these Terms and Conditions, and/or is otherwise disruptive or engaging in activities detrimental to the conduct of the iOi Summit or the Pitch Battle, all as determined by NAR in its sole discretion.
- This Site, the iOi Summit and the Pitch Battle are made available on an AS-IS, WHERE IS, and any and all implied warranties or duties are hereby disclaimed. NAR can discontinue the Site, the iOi Summit and/or the Pitch Battle, or suspend or postpone the iOi Summit or the Pitch Battle, at any time in its sole discretion.
- This Site may include links to third-party sites which are not under the control of NAR. NAR is not responsible for the content or operation of such sites, which may have their own terms. The inclusion a link to a third-party site does not imply endorsement, review or approval by NAR.
- Content on the Site and linked pages includes materials of NAR and/or its content providers. NAR and its relevant content providers reserve any and all of their respective rights in such materials. You are authorized to access and use such materials solely with respect to registration for, application and/or participation in the iOi Summit and the Pitch Battle. You may not use the Site or any materials on it for any unauthorized purpose. All rights not specifically granted are reserved.
- The Site, the iOi Summit, the Pitch Battle, and these Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of the State of Illinois, without reference to conflicts of laws. Regardless of your location, any disputes that arise under these Terms and Conditions will be litigated before a court in Cook County, Illinois.
- To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, NAR, its directors, officers, members, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees, agents, representatives, vendors, contractors, content partners and sponsors (collectively, “Indemnities”) will not be liable for any damages, losses or claims resulting from any person’s attendance, participation (or attempted participation) in or use of the iOi Summit, the Pitch Battle, the iOi Summit Pitch Book, and/or this Site. To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, Indemnities are not responsible for technical problems or technical malfunction or other occurrences which may affect the operation of the Site, the iOi Summit or the Pitch Battle, including but not limited to: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; failure of any e-mail or website transmissions to be sent to or received; inaccessibility of any third party service being used in connection with the Site, the iOi Summit or the Pitch Battle (including but not limited to any third party websites or Internet service providers); traffic congestions on the Internet or the Site; and/or inaccessibility or unavailability of an email account, app or other item used or desired to be used in connection with the Pitch Battle or this Site). To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, all contestants and any other individuals using this Site, attempting to attend the iOi Summit, using the iOi Summit Pitch Book, and/or participating in the Pitch Battle hereby release the Indemnities from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to their attendance of the iOi Summit or, participation or attempted participation in the Pitch Battle and/or this Site.
- To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Indemnities from and against all claims, suits, actions, losses, expenses, damages, penalties, and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees resulting from any actual or alleged violation of these Terms and Conditions by You, Your presenter, use of the Site by You or Your presenter, attendance of the iOi Summit by You or Your presenter, use of the iOi Summit Pitch Book, and/or the participation in the Pitch Battle by You or Your presenter.
- If any portion of this these Terms and Conditions is determined by any court or governmental agency of competent jurisdiction to violate applicable law or otherwise not to conform to requirements of law, then the rest of these Terms and Conditions will remain in effect and the parties will substitute a suitable and equitable provision for the invalid/unenforceable provision in order to carry out the original intent and purpose of the original Terms and Conditions.
- You may not assign, delegate or transfer Your registration for the iOi Summit or the Pitch Battle and/or any of Your rights or obligations under these Terms and Conditions. Any attempted assignment, delegation or transfer shall be void.